Sunday, February 13, 2005

Happy Anniversary !

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the mass gay marriage that took place in San Francisco, which my wife and I were a part of. The mayor, Gavin Newsom, held a little shindig for us and the other 4000+ couples who married at City Hall last year. It was wonderful to be a part of such a historic event. Mayor Newsom congratulated the crowd and told us "This door is open and nothing the president of the United States can do will ever shut this door. It's no longer acceptable for politicians to come to you every election cycle and to ask for your money and to ask for your support and then say it's too much, too soon. Civil unions are not good enough. Civil unions are not marriage. Marriage is marriage." Perhaps the finest piece of advice he gave the crowd was this: "Don't give up the fight. Don't feel discouraged. Don't listen to the president of the United States." Indeed. Let the fight continue.

5 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Can I just say, I LOVE your feather boa, your dog is real sweet (sofa eating excepted!) and congrats on your anniversary!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger fMhLisa said...

Congratulations Jane, Happy anniversary.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Props, please, for Miss Heather who took a fabulous photo of an otherwise dreary and plain Jane.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Congrats Jane, and the photo is lovely...and I couldn't find your non-work email address so I thought I'd check in here...

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to leave an ID above, because I didn't want to be bothered with logging in - it's janet...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home